Japan Karate Association (JKA) was established by the closest students of master FUNAKOSHI Gichin, the founder of Shotokan-ryu Karate-do. Master NAKAYAMA Masatoshi was one of those main founders of JKA and became the first prime Shihan of Shotokan-ryu.
He made further development of Shotokan-ryu based on instantaneously exploded maximum impact power as the essence of all the techniques.
That essence of the orthodox Karate-do we can watch at its All Japan Karatedo Championship Tournament.
Rules and Proceedings
The proceedings of Kata competitions
1. 1st and 2nd match: win or lost for each coupled two persons by appointed Kata performance (Heian Nidan-Godan, Tekki Shodan)
2. 3rd match: win or lost for each coupled two persons by selected Kata performance (Bassaidai, Kankudai, Enpi, Jion)
3. Semifinal match: competed by gained points for the best 16 members by selected Kata performance (Bassaidai, Kankudai, Enpi, Jion)
4. Final match: competed by gained points for the best 8 members by own freely desided Kata performance
The rules of Kumite
1. Duration of a match: 2 minutes
2. Win and lost is decided by Ippon (2 Waza Ari makes one Ippon)
3. Infringement: 3 times warning/out of court makes the opponent win
What Ippon means
Well controlled and enough destructive blow i.e. punch, kick or hit, which is stoped just before touching the opponent's body. A slightly touching of such blow to the opponent's body might be acceptable.
1. Real blow to the opponent’s body and hit by rotating fist, such as back hand blow by turning
2. Dangerous throw such as throw down the opponent by his head or back to floor, such as Back Drop
3. Head butt, attack by reversal joints techniques, attack to testicles